Windshield Scratches

Discuss technical questions about repairing, modifying, protecting your vehicles. Also tips on spare parts and accessories and where to best find them....

Moderator: azi malik

Windshield Scratches

Postby dayani on Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:37 am

hi,
does anybody know where and how to remove Windshield Scratches...
is it possible??

help plzz :roll:
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

windscreen scratches

Postby root on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:57 am

Hey! It depends a bit on how deep your scratches are, but in general the answer is Yes, you can get them fixed!

How? Well, there are several ways. There are some Windscreen repair kits you can find at auto stores. This basically consists of some powder or some cases some liquid that you apply and then have too polish rigorously (with a polishing machine or drill with a padded head).

If you want to get it done by some professional, you might try taking your car to some of the repair shops in Satwa or Rashidiya. I would believe you can also get this done at the BP Grand Lube off Sheikh Zayed Road (the defense roundabout going towards Al-Wasl road)..I've seen them buffing windows there.

Hope it helps!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby dayani on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:00 pm

thanks root
well ill try taking it there and if you know any other specific place please let me know and thank you very much :D
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

grand lube...

Postby sushi on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:16 am

Root, are you sure about Grand Lube? I was there yesterday for oil change and no one seemed to know about this. I had some wiper scratches that would be nice to get off.

I have heard you can get it done in Sharjah fairly cheap, but again not been there myself.

Maybe Awir (the first 6 blocks of car repair showrooms) would have someone who does this.
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Postby dayani on Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:26 pm

ye sushi ur right Grand Lube do not do the scratch job, are you sure it can be done in sharjah?? and i dont think you can find any in awir because ive been there and they told me itz not possible... :( they want me to buy a new windshield from them thats why :evil:
i am getting mad with my scratches :x

but still ill keep on finding
hey sushi if you get to know any place let me know..
or what do you think of a new windshield :? from sharjah or awir. but i dont have any idea about the aftermarket windshields whether they are of good quality or no...
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

there must be someone

Postby sushi on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:41 pm

Dayani!
This is frustrating! You dont want to replace an original windscreen just to get rid of some scratches (unless they are really bad, in which case it might also be a safety hazard).

You could try to get it in insurance somehow? ;) Normally cracked windscreens are covered, but then your premium goes up, so you end up paying for it one way or another.

One option is to buy one of these kits online that allow you to do it yourself. I've never done that, so would not know if they work as well as they claim. You will need a drill type polisher for this.

I'll keep on checking and will let you know if I find anything.
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Postby dayani on Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:04 am

ye sushi
i should not change the original windscreen
lets see with the insurance company will it be covered or no!
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

Postby dayani on Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:59 am

hey sushi how r u doing?
so did not find anything??
ive seen plast-X will it be possible to remove scratches with that??
hope it does!! :?
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

scratches

Postby sushi on Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:28 am

Dayani!
You're still working on those scratches, eh? :)

I thought PlastX is for plastic only, and is good for small scratches like you would like on instrument board or your spectacles/helmet, but not deeper ones that might be on windscreens.

Anyhow, PlastX costs like 20-30 dhms is probably worth trying.

There is also another similar product called Plexus. Its also a plastic cleaner.

For Glass, here's some info I found on a website which I think applies to windshields as well. http://www.windowstoday.co.uk/scratches-on-glass.htm

When it comes to scratches on double glazed sealed units there are basically three alternatives:

1) Replace the sealed unit. It may seem “over kill” to replace otherwise perfectly good sealed units – but for a lot of people (including double glazing installers), the effort required to polish out scratches is just too much. If we factor in the time and effort it can take to remove a scratch successfully then this approach will for many have it’s advantages. This said, it is always worthwhile at least trying the other two alternatives below, especially if it is a very minor scratch.

2) The second alternative basically involves filling the scratch in with a resin that has the same refractive index as the glass, so the scratch no longer shows. You could have a look in motor accessory shops, which sometimes sell kits for dealing with windscreen scratches.

3) The third alternative is to polish the scratch out. This involves a fair amount of effort and of course elbow grease! Do not use any abrasives such as Brasso Duraglit or any kind of abrasive papers of any kind. Window Installers and Double Glazing Repairers most commonly use very fine abrasives such as Ceria (cerium oxide) or Jeweller's rouge (iron oxide). It is important to emphasise that household abrasive cream cleaners are totally unsuitable – they just don’t work and if there is a lot of abrasive in them they will scratch the surrounding glass.
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Return to Repairs, Spare Parts, Maintenance