Large Size SUV suggestions

Discuss Off-road vehicles, experiences, routes, places, tips, desert safaris, ...

Moderator: azi malik

Large Size SUV suggestions

Postby kapil on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi,

I need to get a Large size SUV which is also capable of being taken to the desert while offering a bit of comfort for family aswell. My desert drivings skills can be rated as just normal.

I have been thinking about
1. Escalade/Yukon Denali/Tahoe ( I belive that they are essentially the same machine whith different rims and levels of luxury and options)
2. Nissan Armada
3. Toyata Sequiea
4. Hummer H2

Leather seats are necessary for me, sunroof and DVD with video screen is not an attraction at all.

i have not driven any of these yet and am also not sure how many dealers would let me drive them in sand, so if anyone has any experience in these trucks ;-) pls do advise.

thanks in advance.

kapil
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Re: Large Size SUV suggestions

Postby T.N.T on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:12 am

The best off-roader in that lot is either the H2 or the Tahoe.
I say get a Tahoe Z71, it is nicely packaged.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby kapil on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks TNT. I like the H@ but a lot of people who are a member of off-roading clubs here say that teh Hummers are too heavy for sand. They are great if one wants to crawl up rocks or mud, but sand... they just sink...

Is that true?

They also say that armada is very strong, but i have no idea of my own on any of these. The images are formed by reviews which are again not pertaining specifically to sand off-roading.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby T.N.T on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:48 pm

What you heard about the H2 is only partly true, not false though.
The problem with Armadas is the low clearance and just the sheer length of that thing.
On the other hand, Z71 is great. I've driven a standard spec Tahoe which is pretty good and Z71 is supposedly better.
Why don't you look into Japanese options?
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:42 pm

Toyota Sequoia is what I would say. Though I don't think it comes here. It's a US model only. Its based on the Tundra truck which is a mean machine.

I've actually been extreme off-roading with the H2, and you are right about the weight, but as the car is quite wide, the weight distribution is not that bad. Also it has a big powerful engine and is a lot of fun. If you can afford it and live with the bad-boy reputation that comes with it, go for this. Also get some off-road accessories to it and you'll enjoy it a lot. Actually, this vehicle is even good enough to camp inside.

In the same price range, you can also look at the local favourites: Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby kapil on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:20 pm

Tundra was rated teh best off-roader last year!!

I was thinking about the Land Cruiser initially, but I need more space ehnce started looking at the larger ones.

You are right about the US sequia but do they carry warranty here?

If we put sand tyres on the Armada would it help the clearance any bit? I belive the Armada is even bigger than the Z71 on the inside.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby kapil on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:24 pm

The Yukon Denali also has a 6 lt V8 like teh escalde does it stand against teh Tahoe.

I might be wrong but I understand that the Z71 is more of a cosmatic off-road package with all terrain tyres and flared wheel archs. Is there any real diffrence in teh standard and teh Z71. The standard has a 320BHP engine against a 380BHP of yukon Denali and 402BHP of escalade.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby root on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:31 pm

nope, you dont get the warranty here, but then has anyone needed to use their warranty against their Toyotas? ;)

You can get bigger tyres, but just be careful...the police does not always like SUVs with non-standard tyres...especially the ones bulging out. Armada does have a lot of power and kick in it...no doubt about that. Also very comfortable as a city ride.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kapil on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:51 pm

hey, thanks for the tip on the police's likings. I was so not aware of that..

I was thinking the baloon tyres like you see on a lot of Patrols..
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby T.N.T on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:26 pm

BHP doesn't get you off-road, look at the Escalade's wheel/tire setup, you think you can bash the dunes with that?
Get a Z71 and you'll be more than happy. It has changes beyond cosmetics I believe. I'll find out and let you know.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby kapil on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:01 pm

appriciate all your help. Thanks
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby T.N.T on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:23 pm

kapil wrote:The Yukon Denali also has a 6 lt V8 like teh escalde does it stand against teh Tahoe.

I might be wrong but I understand that the Z71 is more of a cosmatic off-road package with all terrain tyres and flared wheel archs. Is there any real diffrence in teh standard and teh Z71. The standard has a 320BHP engine against a 380BHP of yukon Denali and 402BHP of escalade.

The Tahoe has 355 hp, not 320.
The Z71 package adds gas-charged monotube shocks, skid plates under the body, 18 inch all-terrain tires and most importantly automatic locking rear differential.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby kapil on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:30 pm

seems like we are getting somewhere!! :wink:

Will take a test drive soon.......

Thanks
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby Rahimdad on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Dear Kapil,

I have been through a similar dilemma as you are going through right now. Then I came across the website www.drivearabia.com, which gives a very comprehensive look into each and every car. My suggestion the following cars do not serva as 4 wheel drives because they do not have Low Gearing or differencial locking necessary to take your car Off-Road - Nissan Armada, Escalade, Yukon Denali.
I would agree with TNT, Tahoe Z71 package would be a very good choice, Lank Cruiser is ofcourse the King of the Desert.
However I made a very different choice which I am very pleased with, a Jeep Commander. It all started with getting in a similar discussion with some experts on the Off-Road and the suggestion was for Extreme 4x4 Jeep Wrangler is the best, it is lika a toy and Trading Enterprise does modifications on the car to perform better Off-Road and still keeps the warranty which is void with other car dealers in case of mods. But I needed the real deal in 4x4 but with the luxury and good for my big family. After a lot of research I finally decided to check out the Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi with MDS, I have taken it Off-Road and it is brilliant, just needs a little lift, i have spoken to Trading Enterprise and will get the Mods done soon without the waranty getting void. Plus they have the Jeep Jamboree and a club who will help you out with everything you want to know about Off-Road, your driving skills and your ride.
Just a summary I feel the Jeep is the real deal, the Commander is a brilliant choice for a Large SUV and the more you go into it the more you enjoy the experience.

Tahoe Z71 package is still a good choice.

Regards
Rahimdad
Rahimdad

My Ride: Jeep Commander
My Profession: Travel Supervisor
My Dream Ride: Lexus LX570

Postby root on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Rahimdad, welcome to the forums! Glad to see someone who likes the Jeep Commander and can share first-hand experience.

The vehicle has had a hard time selling in UAE, though it seems to have all the right ingredients. Have you taken it on any extreme rides? My experience with the Cherokee was that after a day of abuse in the dunes, the car started giving some squeeks for many months to come..very annoying.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Off-Road